Maths A-Level at The Swan
Students who study Mathematics at A-Level often choose the subject because they have embraced the challenge offered by GCSE Mathematics, thrived, and left with a hunger for further study.
This, coupled with the fact that an A-Level in Mathematics is highly sought-after by employers and universities, typically makes it one of the most popular choices for post-16 study.
Teachers at The Swan School understand that Mathematics is sought-after because it is perceived to be among the most challenging A-Level courses. As such, teachers will be dedicated to supporting their students by delivering the same standard of high-quality lessons that has become synonymous with The Swan School since its opening.
In addition, students will be expected to show the same levels of dedication to meet the high demands needed to succeed on the course, and will be supported in doing so every step of the way by the passionate and experienced teaching staff in the Mathematics department.
7 in GCSE Mathematics
Edexcel A Level Mathematics (9MA0)
Pure Mathematics (2 x 2hr exams, each with 33.3% weighting):
- Topic 1 – Proof
- Topic 2 – Algebra and functions
- Topic 3 – Coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane
- Topic 4 – Sequences and series
- Topic 5 – Trigonometry
- Topic 6 – Exponentials and logarithms
- Topic 7 – Differentiation
- Topic 8 – Integration
- Topic 9 – Numerical methods
- Topic 10 – Vectors
Applied Mathematics (1 x 2hr exam, with 33.3% weighting):
Section A: Statistics
- Topic 1 – Statistical sampling
- Topic 2 – Data presentation and interpretation
- Topic 3 – Probability
- Topic 4 – Statistical distributions
- Topic 5 – Statistical hypothesis testing
- Section B: Mechanics
- Topic 6 – Quantities and units in mechanics
- Topic 7 – Kinematics
- Topic 8 – Forces and Newton’s laws
- Topic 9 – Moments